Archy, a Poet and a Cockroach

Archy is the creation of Don Marquis, an American humorist, journalist and author also known for the character Mehitabel the cat. Archie and Mehitabel were supposed poets.


A toast eating roach


In grade five or six I was required to learn a poem and recite it for my class and this is the one I chose. I don't know why it has stuck in my head all these years. Memory is a funny thing. I couldn't tell you what I ate this morning for breakfast. The poems were written by Archy who would compose them while jumping from key to key on a manual typewriter. That is why there is no question marks or capitals as they require two keys and, well, he's a bug.

fate

in many places here and there
i think that fate is quite unfair
yon centipede upon the floor
can boast of tootsies by the score
consider my distressing fix
my feet are limited to six
did i a hundred feet possess
would all that glorious footfullness
enable me to stumble less
when i am overcome by heat?
or, if i had a hundred feet,
would i, careering over the floor
stagger proportionately more
well, i suppose the mind serene
will not tell destiny its mean
a truly philosophic mind
will use such feet as it can find
and follow calmly fast or slow
the feet it has
where'er they go

-archy

1 comments:

Tonya said...

I've never heard of these 2 critters. I like them. At first I thought you said you memorized it at 5 or 6 and I was all, "WHOA! Now THAT'S a tough school."

I also like your spider. He makes me smile.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.