Artists Who Dislike Their Own Songs

Crabbie suggested a post about artists who don't like songs for which they are famous. I found a lot of information on this subject and here are some of the people and groups on the long list. I decided to just list the songs without personal commentary.

MILEY CYRUS


Miley Cyrus hates all of her music. Oh, really? She is quoted as saying: "I listen to zero pop music, which is really weird for someone who makes pop music. My 13-year-old self would have beaten up my 17-year-old self because she would be like, 'You're a sellout!'" I'm thinking that's like the angsty 15 year old girl who takes 2,000 pictures of her face, up close, and posts them on Facebook each with a caption saying how ugly she thinks she is. Sorry, I said I wouldn't do that. I'm also not going to post videos to all her music. You're welcome.

OASIS
Oasis hates their whole "Be Here Now" album. Because as Noel Gallagher's stated, it's "The sound of five men in the studio, on coke, not giving a fuck."





I chose this video because I was turned on to Oasis by a British guy who died shortly after we became acquainted. It's nostalgic and not a bad song.

GUNS 'N' ROSES
Slash hates "Sweet Child o' Mine". More accurately, he used to hate it and now he doesn't. It was a fluke song that they stumbled upon while acting stupid. I used to hate it and I still do. I don't much like any 'power ballads' by metal groups with the exception of pretty much anything Rob Halford does. Seriously, have you heard him do Johnny B. Goode?





THE BEATLES
The Beatles hate "Let It Be". One of the reasons they hated this album is they were possibly at the worst point in their relationship and teetering on the brink of break up. You can't see they are not happy in the video of the song "Let It Be".





BOB GELDOF
Bob Geldof hates "Do They Know It's Christmas?" AND he hates "We Are The World".



R.E.M.
R.E.M. does not like "Shiny Happy People". Michael Stipe says: "I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed by the song but it is what it is, has limited appeal for me. I try never to say anything bad about the songs that I don't particularly like. Because there might be someone out there who hears that to whom that song means everything, to whom that song represents something in their life which is essential and I don't want to take that from them."





LED ZEPPELIN


You just knew this one would be on the list. Robert Plant hates "Stairway To Heaven". *sigh* If you must watch it, here's the video. Hit play, open a new tab in your browser and go surfing for ten minutes.



Jimmy Page, and Atheist Granny hates "Living, Loving Maid (she's just a woman)



TOM PETTY
Tom Petty dislikes "Free Falling" and "Don't Do Me Like That".








JUDAS PRIEST
Judas Priest hates "You Got Another Thing Coming". (Shouldn't it be "think"?)



RADIOHEAD

Radiohead hates Creep



MADONNA
Maddona hates her song "Like a Virgin". Of course she does, she sounds like Betty Boop





What I thought was interesting was most of these musicians disliked a song because they were unhappy with the attitude or atmosphere around the recording, or they were unhappy with the quality of their work. Madonna is just a Diva who doesn't want to sing the songs that made her a Diva. As I recall she didn't feel the need to tour to support her albums in the beginning either. I guess she got over that.

17 comments:

Angie said...

It breaks my heart to know that the Beatles hate "Let it Be".

Frimmy said...

I wonder if it's a song that they have come to like over time.

Angie said...

I love the Beatles and although I've not done a lot of research, I've been sucked in by the Yoko hate. Not that I hate her, but that she was a big factor in the break up of the band. What do you think?

Frimmy said...

I think it's easy to vilify her. This is what I've gathered from reading about it; More likely they would have taken off in different directions whether she was in the picture or not. It didn't help Lennon insisted she be treated like one of them. She wasn't entitled and the rest of the guys said so. You can really see the bad blood and tension in the video. What the heck was she doing there? Singing? I don't think so. Playing some instrument? Doesn't seem like it.

They were rudderless after Brian Epstein died. He helped everyone to stay working together, handled their money and I'm sure was an endless diplomatic negotiator between the four of them.

The combination of mew management which failed, egos, money and diverging interests was probably what did it. Yoko was just one of those diverging interests. She is easy to dislike though, I have to admit. I'm not a fan of her work.

Tonya said...

I fucking LOVE LOVE LOVE Creep!!!

Angie said...

I read a lot of what you just commented on and it seems Lennon was insecure and couldn't handle McCartney taking over when Epstein died.

Tonya said...

I think Lennon was a fucking ass. Is it cool to say that or will I get lynched?

Frimmy said...

It's very cool, but why?

Angie said...

Based on what I've read, I'd agree with Tonya. Not only was he an insufferable musician, he was a shitty father, abandoning Julian when he ran off with Yoko. Another reason to hate her, she should never have allowed him to do that, but I guess that's what happens when heroin makes your decisions.

Frimmy said...

Personally, I am not a Beatles fan although I tolerate listening to their songs far better than the Stones. Stones songs make me want to kill puppies.

I have never understood why Lennon abandoned his first kid and even if I try to see his side of it, it never adequately justifies what he did. I agree, any kind of decent person would not allow, nor encourage, a father to abandon their child. So yeah, I hope drugs were the reaon why their thinking was messed up and that's what helped them make the decision to abandon his son because the alternative is even more disgusting.

I'm also not one of those people who think Lennon was a prophet of peace and therefore worthy of worship. He believed what several hundred million people believed and simply had a platform to speak about it publically. This is not enough to make someone a legend. Fortunately (?), he was murdered and that sealed the world's perception of him. This also facilitates Yoko's ongoing martyred widow performance.

And, I hate to say it but the Beatles couldn't sustain their union because of stupidity and personal issues which even the Stones have been able to do. I mean what the hell? I guess selling your soul must be the key to sustainability because drugs played a major role in both bands' dynamic.

The reasons why the Beatles broke up are so ordinary they are banal and disappointing. Nothing so romantic as a bitchy girlfriend. They just couldn't get over themselves.

Heidi said...

Oh I love the Stones! I was a little pup when my sister took me to their Steel Wheels tour.

I got into the Beatles after Lennon was murdered.

Tonya said...

Basically what Angie said. He was a shitty father and he was a hypocrite. "Imagine no possessions" indeed, John.

Tonya said...

I hate the Stones too. And Bruce Springsteen. Suck it, Bruce.

Angie said...

Bruce sucks so hard, it makes me weep with the magnitude of it.

Frimmy said...

I don't get what the big deal about Bruce is either.

Anonymous said...

The Oasis album "Be Here Now" has like at least 3 iconic songs in it , how can he hate that. I mean "Stand by me" , "Don't go away" , "All around the world"? ... I guess that's just Noels view since Liam had all the vocals on that album.

Frimmy said...

He sees it differently than we do. He says they were not invested in the album because if drugs and/or indifference and as the insider his point of view is tarnished by what he knows or believes to be so. We are ignorant of that and ignorance is bliss.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.