Monday, September 5, 2011

Freddie Mercury would be 65 today



This is a google doodle. Google anything today and their logo will have been morphed into this as they often do on memorable dates.



"Save Me" Queen, Live in Montreal. November 1981 I have this song. He and they sound just as good here, live, as they do recorded.


I'm not one of those fans who wonders what he would be doing now if he were alive. I didn't even know it was his birthday. Because they got virtually NO air play on the island where I grew up, I was one of the only ones who even knew who they were and even now all the songs that got the most airplay here in Canada, and those songs for which they are known the best, are songs I detest. I couldn't give a rat's ass for We Will Rock You (sorry Dr. May) Except for Bohemian Rhapsody, I still like that one. I have most of the albums they released for North America and they number around twenty. Yes. Twenty. And that's not all of them. Without a doubt I know that his voice and Queen's music helped me find an oasis of peace during too many extremely turbulent years. Their music was always there for me and never let me down. Well, "Hot Space" was a bit of a let down but I could handle it better when that egg got laid.

Music is like that, isn't it? It doesn't let you down. RIP Freddie, I miss you. I'm pretty sure you would have intensely disliked what this world has become. Google has attached an animation to their doodle here of "Don't Stop Me Now" which is pretty cute. Whaaaat? Bears with mustaches are funny in this context!

Did music help you through a turbulent time? Who was your favourite?

1 comment: