I'm a pseudo geek



This is the time of year when we are on the look out for creative and/or geeky tee shirts to start the new school year. The young ward is not much into designer clothing, bless him, and so it has become a tradition for me to locate interesting tee shirts, something for which, I'm slightly proud to say, he has come to be locally famous (where locally famous means his two friends). This time I sprung for one for me, pictured above. I apologize for the wrinkles, it was just out of the packaging.

I expect to be distracted by stimulating conversations with informed strangers while wearing this.

PS: Did you know when Erwin Schrodinger came up with the idea, he wasn't trying to explain something to some stupid undergrad -- he was trying to mock the idea. It's pretty obvious once you realize that the original writing of the example started with, "One can even set up quite ridiculous cases. A cat is penned up in a steel chamber ..."

More on that here

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah, I have no idea what that means. Maybe I should Google..LOL
I get Fred funky t-shirts too. The latest is a Angry Birds one.

Frimmy said...

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment, usually described as a paradox, devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935. The scenario presents a cat that might be alive or dead because it has been put into a box with poison. The idea is until you open the box, you do not know if the cat is dead OR alive so at that moment it exists in both states. Which is the paradox and the punchline. Wanted dead AND alive. It gets referenced a lot in paradoxical situations. I've heard it mentioned in Bones and Numbe3rs in the recent past.

Frimmy said...

I've seen a tee shirt with a Banksy stencil of the man throwing the bouquet turned into the man throwing an angry bird. Almost bought it.

Tonya said...

I want this shirt so fucking badly. I'm willing to hurt someone to get it.

Frimmy said...

So...the only response I've had is: "I...don't get it". So the moment I mention the words thought experiment, paradox, quantum mechanics...I can see the person's eyes glaze over.

That's it. I hang out in the wrong spots obviously. I thought for sure the Walmart greeter was going to say something though.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.