Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mitch Hedberg

If you're looking for a happy ending you won't find it on this post but you will smile and maybe even laugh.





Wiki on Mitch Hedberg:
American stand-up comedian known for his surreal humor and unconventional comedic delivery. His comedy typically featured short, sometimes one-line jokes,mixed with absurd elements and non sequiturs.

It's funny if you like that kind of thing and I do. I used to like surreal and unconventional deliveries. I still do but I used to, too.

Continuing:
On March 30, 2005, Hedberg was found dead in a hotel room in Livingston, New Jersey. The New Jersey medical examiner's office reported "multiple drug toxicity" in the form of cocaine and heroin as the official cause of death. His death was formally announced on April 1, 2005, leading many to believe it was an April Fool's joke, only to find out later that it was not. His funeral was held at St. Ambrose of Woodbury Church in Minnesota, and his remains were cremated. Details of where his remains are scattered are known by his family.

I love his voice and his almost shy manner. It isn't even what he's saying so much as how he says it. He wore sunglasses because he suffered from stage fright and it helped him cope. Sometimes a joke can fall flat but his delivery never does. He makes observations that are 'out there' in the manner of Steven Wright.

On sport fishing's catch and release policy:
"They don't want to eat the fish, but they want to make it late for something"

Typical Hedberg non sequiturs:
"If you could understand morse code tap dancing would drive you crazy"

"Rice is great when you're hungry and you want two thousand of something"

I hate that I discovered this man about four years after he died. It's freaky that he got his wish on how he wanted to die. "First, I'd want to get famous, and then I'd overdose. If I overdosed at this stage in my career, I would be lucky if it made the back pages." Interview with Jonathan Davis in the December 2001 issue of Penthouse.

RIP Mitch

5 comments:

JustMe said...

Lol that was funny and I needed a laugh tonight. After I watched this I googled a little and found this and thought I would share.
http://involution.com/mitch-quotes/

Frimmy said...

Hi and welcome! I love Mitch and thank you for the link to the quotes. I read them in his voice. lol

Tonya said...

I love Mitch. He was incredible. RIP, my friend. Take the escalator.

Frimmy said...

wearing a turtle neck is like being strangled by a weak guy all day long.

Tonya said...

HAHAHA! Fuck, he was one of a kind.