Sunday, October 30, 2011

Canadians...in sock feet


In every house I have been in, my whole life, I have never known anyone to keep their shoes on IN the house. They come off at the door. Everywhere. I thought everyone did this but apparently not.

For us it's a cleanliness thing. Walking around outside then walking around in the house in the same footwear tracks the outdoor germs indoors. It's an especially huge faux pas if the household has young children who crawl around on the floor and put their toys etc in their mouths.

It's also a weather thing. You can't walk around indoors in your winter boots tracking melting snow everywhere. Snow is filthy. So maybe we formed the habit out of necessity as well and just kept the habit all year round.

Outside should stay outside or just inside the entry way. That's how we see it.

What about you? Shoes on or off in the house and why?

10 comments:

Aggie said...

Cool topic! I take mine off at the door. Some of it is cleanliness and some is just comfort. Dino keeps his shoes on all the time unless he's getting in bed. Taking shoes off here isn't customary but I wish it was.

Angie said...

Shoes off, for all the reasons you've stated. One more, it's very hard on the fibers of the carpet to have rubber soles pulling at it. I was a nazi about it when my kids were young. My last house, I made sure I had a laminate path from each door, just in case someone was rude enough to walk in without removing their kicks.

JustMe said...

In the winter I make everyone take off shoes at the door. The rest of the year it is kind of hit or miss. I take my shoes off as soon as I get home. most of the time right under the computer table. I feel shoes should come off as soon as you walk in a door but I am the minority at my house so I lose the fight.

Noelle said...

Preference is off but I know all kinds of debauchery goes on when I'm not home. ALL KINDS..

Noelle said...

I smoke but not in my house, not at work and not in my car when my kids or clean dry cleaning are in it. Makes me want to live in a duplex. Their side and my side. Double duty locks on my side.

I would never think of going into someones house and not just playing by the rules. Shoes and smoking are easy to obey. Debauchery.

Anonymous said...

I have tended to find, Canadians = shoes off : Americans = shoes on

Strange...

Ann

MuserMommy said...

Shoes stay on mostly in our house. We also walk around in flips if we don't have shoes on. I used to have to wait until my son feel asleep and then sneak his shoes off. He is a little better now & takes them off when his night clothes go on. My sister is the opposite. Everyone has to deposit shoes at the door. We both grew up with the same father who insisted you always have something on your feet at all times. Even if it was just slippers so you didn't step on something like a staple. Also in case of a fire. It's part of growing up with a dad as a firefighter I guess.

Frimmy said...

I have to agree that this is prudent and for that reason I wear moccasins around the house. When I come in, shoes come off, they go on. My feet are always too cold.

TallGuyInAnaheimCA said...

Where can I buy those socks, please? I have a dear friend who is crazy about purple, and these would be perfect for her...
A Friend In Anaheim, CA

Frimmy said...

Just a quick google search of "striped+toe+sock" yielded these links here and here. Go forth and shop for your friend.