Mimosa Pudica - I'd be sensitive too, if that was my name



Mimosa Pudica aka Sensitive Plant aka Tickle Me Plant, folds up its leaves when touched. So another of its names is Touch Me Not plant. It also folds up its leaves at night but for some reason it doesn't have the name Folds Up Its Leaves At Night plant. Go figure.



We all know plants are alive but have you ever seen one move unless the wind was blowing? This one will fold up its leaves and stems if disturbed. This is a fast and immediate reaction which makes it seem sentient. I bought one for my sister once. It has delicate, fluffy, pinkish-purple flower balls and is so common it is thought of as a weed in its native land. She called it "Wincey" because it winces. It also has spikes. Which are exposed when the plant folds up. Which makes it a violent sleeper type. Wincey like a cactus, I'd say.

Delicate leaves...



...delicate pom pom flowers...



...pretty! It lulls you with its delicate beauty and then
impales you with its spikes of death


7 comments:

Tonya said...

Oh, I want one of these! It's beautiful!!!

Tonya said...

I just watched that video. Was that done in real time? If I were to hit that plant would it react that quickly? If I had one in my house would it close up every night? Do the pom poms stay all year round or just a short period of time? Are they hazardous to animals? Have I never heard of Wikipedia so I can find these answers out on my own?

Frimmy said...

Yes it's real time. It takes a lot longer for the fronds (?) to open up again. I think they sped that part of the video up.


Wikipedia is the quintessential reference site of completely accurate facts about absolutely everything there is to know on the planet and elsewhere. It is never wrong and it knows when you are sleeping.

Frimmy said...

As I recall it had flowers all of the time.

We used to amuse ourselves touching the plant and watching it react immediately then waiting impatiently for it to open back up. Not sure if they're hazardous to animals. They're native to Central and South America but wiki says they're now considered a "pantropical" weed. I think we'd be hearing about it if they were killing animals. Do your pets like other plants?

Angie said...

This was a very interesting read. I've never seen this plant. I would like to someday.

Sara said...

This is a great site! Flowers only last for a day. I recommmend the TickleMe Plant Book. TICKLE is a two dollar discount code.Click here to use the code, to get seeds,kits and books and see a time lapse of the flowers in bloom in the Photo Gallery link

Anonymous said...

Thanks sara..the coupon worked. I can't wait to grow a TickleMe Plant with my kids.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.