Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fiddleheads


Not this kind of fiddle head....



These kinds of fiddleheads. Here, amongst some wild mushrooms



I've eaten fiddleheads. There's an interesting quality about them in that they are a vegetable but it doesn't take much imagination to turn them into caterpillars. Which of course, I must do.



A curled up caterpillar

Millipede, assuming the guise of a fiddlehead

Fiddleheads are baby ferns. They're harvested when the frond has not yet unfurled and is cut close to the ground. They contain antioxidants and are a source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 and are high in iron and fibre (note: even though I got this info from Wikipedia, as soon as you see the "re" instead of the "er" you just know that writer is Canadian cuz they're all about centres and fibres and sabres and stuff)



I may be wrong but fiddleheads are an eastern US/Canada kind of dish. Maine, Quebec and the Maritime Provinces. You know, Maine may as well be a Canadian province. Do you know how often it is included in Atlantic Canadian qualities? Tides, flora, fauna, fishery issues etc. Maine is now the fifth Maritime province as far as I'm concerned. Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Maine. And let's face it, including Maine in Canada totally keeps the 49th parallel pattern thing going with the border. Seriously, follow the 49th all the way east and it naturally puts Maine above the border. Just embrace it. Congratulations and welcome Maine! (Next to be assimilated: Alaska)


I like ferns any old way, but only eat the baby ones from the Ostrich Fern.



Fiddleheads flavour is difficult to describe in that I need you to have tasted other things that taste like them. So brussel sprouts and asparagus are two similar tastes. But neither are terribly fearsome looking. Fiddleheads may be tasty but be sure and eat them steamed or cooked in some way. Raw, they are bitter and slightly toxic which totally adds to their badassity.

4 comments:

Angie said...

While I cannot claim to have eaten fiddleheads, I can tell you that you and Stephen King share similar views about Maine being part of Canada. In his latest book, after cataclysmic events, Maine becomes part of your homeland. Of course, you all die anyway, but that's for another day ;)

Noelle said...

Badassity I must steel that I have never tried them but I would try almost everything. Though not to the level of Andrew Zimmer. That nut.

Frimmy said...

Ahh yes Stephen King, or Mr. King as he prefers I refer to him (through a lawyer). I'm his number one fan. Number 1+ now that he shares my feeling about Maine being Canadian.

Noelle, has your chef tried them?

Angie said...

You bear no resemblance to Annie Wilkes whatsoever.