More Fascinating Art - Millefiori

Shay Aaron, whose work is shown below, is an artist who creates miniature foods for jewellery and doll houses. His work is acutely detailed and realistic looking. He uses an ancient method known as Millefiori for making his detailed pieces. Millefiori, traced back to the Ancient Roman, Phoenician and Alexandrian times, produces beads made of glass and patterns that are minutely detailed and beautiful. The term millefiori is a combination of the Italian words "mille" (thousand) and "fiori" (flowers). Aaron's medium is polymer clay.



Glass Millefiori paperweight



Shay Aaron's mini foodstuffs starts here...



Each wrinkled leaf of cabbage is hand crafted individually













The sliced tomatoes are remarkable...



This is how he does it using the Millefiori technique





This is Shay

This is an interview with Shay Aaron.

This is how you make a millefiori flower




This is an example of Millefiori used to inlay a picture frame. This was given to me my an Iranian friend and depicts a polo game (also of Middle Eastern origin). I apologize for the poor lighting and phone camera pics.


Close up detail. Brass accents are used in these beads.

6 comments:

A-Gran said...

Those were great and Heidi would love them. Your picture took my breath away.

Noelle said...

Amazing! just the idea of how tedious this is makes gives me a head ache what a talent.

Anonymous said...

It's been 4 days. I need my fix of interesting stuff I've never heard of before.

A-Gran who is too lazy to log in.

Frimmy said...

I didn't think anyone noticed! I didn't even realize it was four days! I will get right on that.

Anonymous said...

Thats not millefiori on the Iranian picture frame, its inlay, and they aren't flowers.

Frimmy said...

...and so, what are they?

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.