Ode to Spot - Data

Of all the things I saw on StarTrek: TNG the single most entertaining* one was the episode where Data recites a poem he wrote for his cat. Maybe it was just me, or my mood, but I laughed. As well I'm a sucker for a guy who tends toward being sesquipedalian as long as he's also unpretentious while he's doing it.

I heard it once and I had it memorized because I could do stuff like that back then. Anyway here it is in case you were wondering how you were ever going to find it on the internet.


Spot (left) and Data (holding fiddle)
Yes...yes, I know. There are other geek worthy sci-fi stories out there that are completely unrelated to anything in StarTrek.

Ode to Spot

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature.
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
a singular development of cat communications
that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behaviour you display
connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

(Poor Data, the Pinocchio of space. Always trying in vain to achieve puny humanness. )

StarTrek: The Next Generation Episode: Schisms'', Stardate 46154.2 (seriously?)



* Update: There was another episode. It was equally and randomly entertaining to watch every conversation with that week's alien done only in allegory references with a synopsis of Gilgamesh by Patrick Stewart thrown in for fun. Star Trek Darmok



Man, I hate being manipulated by dramatic music.

5 comments:

Noelle said...

I remember this episode. Very cool.

A-Gran said...

I had to google "sesquipedalian"and then I laughed my ass off at the irony.

This poem made me chuckle as well.

Angie said...

You really memorized this back then and recited it here today without any assistance?? You have a steel trap, my friend. A scary, slightly bloody, hobo enticing steel trap.

Frimmy said...

Oh HELL no! I remembered it way back then. For this post I totally copied and pasted it from a web site that keeps track of our current star date. For this post I remembered the first verse and snatches of the rest of the poem but that's it.

My brain is nothing like what it used to be sadly. There was a point in time recently where I became unable to think clearly or remember and memorize like I used to. I feel like I'm constantly in a fog.

MuserMommy said...

I am a huge fan of TNG. I used to come home and watch it every evening in the 90's. Of all the series, it is my favorite. I am such a geek. I find Data to be soothing. I love Jean-Luc as well!

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.