Carved Book Landscapes - Guy Laramee

I love books.  I love their smell, their squareness and their heft.  I love how a book can invade your loneliness.  One of the things that bothers me about ereaders is my fear that real, literal books will be lost.  I suppose that is what motivates this artist although he speaks more along the lines of returning books to the origins of their subject matter.  "Piles of obsolete encyclopedias return to that which does not need to say anything, that which simply IS."  I have a set of encyclopedias he could do wonders with.















Guy Laramee's web site is here.  I think what he wants us to do is remember that while we may be aware of something on an intellectual basis, we need to remember that most things actually exist in reality out side our minds.  But, I'm not sure.  What do you think?  Here's his explanation:

My work, in 3D as well as in painting, originates from the very idea that ultimate knowledge could very well be an erosion instead of an accumulation. The title of one of my pieces is “ All Ideas Look Alike”. Contemporary art seems to have forgotten that there is an exterior to the intellect. I want to examine thinking, not only “what” we think, but “that” we think.
So I carve landscapes out of books and I paint romantic landscapes. Mountains of disused knowledge return to what they really are: mountains. They erode a bit more and they become hills. Then they flatten and become fields where apparently nothing is happening. Piles of obsolete encyclopedias return to that which does not need to say anything, that which simply IS. Fogs and clouds erase everything we know, everything we think we are.
After 30 years of practice, the only thing I still wish my art to do is this: to project us into this thick “cloud of unknowing.”

Or, sometimes an artist over thinks his inspiration to the point where it's lost on me.  I think these sculptures are beautiful and I love how the pages lend themselves to the striation we see with sedimentary rock on cliff and canyon faces.  It's beautiful.  That's all I really need to understand.

0 comments:

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.