Thursday, February 16, 2012

Maraschino Cherries

I love maraschino cherries.  I'm the one collecting the cherries nobody wants on their desserts or banana splits.  I would gladly trade my ice cream for them.  In the beginning, these cherries were produced for and eaten primarily by royalty.  Lucky buggers.

When I did an image search of "maraschino cherry" a lot of images came up of red cherries hanging from branches. They do NOT grow this way they are made this way in pretty much the same way pickles are made.

  

Does this really look like anything nature could grow?


This is what nature grows

Maraschino cherries originally came from Marascha cherries in Croatia. They are picked when ripe, bleached and then a maraschino liquor is added to colour and flavour them. The liquor used to be alcohol based but now is mainly a sugar syrup with food colour and almond flavouring.

Years ago any cherry not following this exact method, using another kind of cherry for example, were legally required to be labeled "imitation". Now different cherries are used and they are considered authentic as long as they are:
cherries which have been dyed red, impregnated with sugar and packed in a sugar sirup [sic] flavored with oil of bitter almonds or a similar flavor"


Chocolate covered cherry martini


I got the picture of the multi coloured cherries here



Now 'maraschino' cherries come in different colours and flavours.  Brilliantly coloured and resembling nothing in nature, they are flavoured with mango, berry, lime and lemon.


Multi coloured jello shots.  Recipe here

I went looking for maraschino cherries online today because I bought Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream on whim yesterday and found lots of chocolate but very few cherries.  I'm not much of a chocolate lover.  I tolerate it to get to the cherry.  I'd like to see more cherry love out there.  Do I have to make everything myself?

Want to try your hand at making them yourself?  There is a recipe here.

How Maraschino Cherries are made by professionals



7 comments:

A-Gran said...

Oh that was fascinating! I know my son loved to eat those things by the jarful when he was little.

Meissa2112 said...

I LOOOOOVE those.

A-Gran said...

I'm annoyed at how long I'm going to have to wait for an update. >:(

Angie said...

I've never had one. I think the brilliant red color has always made me feel that they weren't quite edible. Clearly, I'm not an adventurous culinary example.

Frimmy said...

From someone who loves the naturally coloured Doritos?!

Seriously, I can kick back with a bottle of these babies and be very happy. I have peeled chocolate from around a chocolate covered cherry just to get to the cherry. I can be bought with these cherries.

You must try one, once in your life. A red one. Then blog about it.

Angie said...

Hmm, good point. Perhaps I will try one after all, but if I vomit, it's on you, ma'am.

dirtydisher said...

Bartender perk. Oh, yeah, I could have as many of these as I wanted while getting paid $3.50 and hour and having drunks grab my boobs. Sweet deal. Anyone would take it.