Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Important" is Subjective

I was surfing around this morning and found a site listing 50 of the most important landmarks in the world.  A lofty title and contained therein were some lovely photos of famous landmarks.  Then I came to this:

This is Mt. Rushmore?  I am disappoint

Um...have you seen Mt. Rushmore? Let me save you the trouble and expense of going. If you've seen pictures of Mt. Rushmore, you've seen it at it's best.  Going there will just disappoint you, although I recommend visiting South Dakota. It's a beautiful state.

The sculpture is carved into a cliff and is much smaller than it's portrayed.  It's always shown alone in photos and using close up shots devoid of buildings or people that would give you a context to determine size. Or lack of size as the case is here.

At the base is a large 'interpretive center' which we all know is a euphemism for "overpriced souvenir shop". The US flag flying at the center could quite possibly block your view of the sculpture on breezy days.

In any case I think that it is important to American history, yes, so if it's on your bucket list, go and enjoy. But make plans to do several other things that day because believe me, you will have lots of time to do it. I recommend checking out the ongoing project down the road:



This is the Crazy Horse Memorial. They've done a lot more work on the horse's face since I was there and I can't wait to see it when it's done. Check out more about the memorial here.

Just so you don't think I'm just anti-American landmarks, included in this list is the Statue of Liberty. I agree this should be a world landmark because it represents something to everyone and was the harbinger of freedom to thousands of immigrants looking to improve the lives of their families.

More world landmarks from that list up there.

Christo Redemptor, Rio

Neuschwanstein, Bavaria - The name means Nine Swan Castle and was
the inspiration for Cinderella's castle at Disneyland

The Burg, Dubai - I suppose it's a landmark representing excess

Machu Picchu, Peru

Mt. Fuji, Japan

Saint Basil Cathedral, Moscow

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

I recently read a list of important things to see in Spain and the Sagrada Familia didn't even make that list.  It's kind of important, architecturally speaking.  At least I think so.  I guess that's what subjective is really about.  Am I willing to create a list of important landmarks based on my personal feelings, tastes or opinions?  Hell no!  I'd rather criticize and/or admire yours. 


1 comment:

A-Gran said...

I'm so happy we share the same opinion on Mt. Rushmore. I was more impressed by the goats I saw that could stand sideways on a rock next to the park.