Friday, March 23, 2012

Today is National Melba Toast Day

Also, if melba toast isn't your thing, it's also National Chip & Dip Day.


Did you know melba toast and peach melba is named after Dame Nellie Melba, the stage name of Australian opera singer Helen Porter Mitchell? Its name is thought to date from 1897, when the singer was very ill and it became a staple of her diet.

I make my own by slicing baguettes, buttering them and adding some seasoning and baking them on a rack until they're dry.  If you cut them up into cubes you have croutons. They have a lot more body to them than the store bought melba toast (or croutons). Or you can try this: lightly toast bread in your toaster. Once the outside of the bread is slightly firm, remove from the toaster and then cut each slice laterally with a bread knife to make two slices that are half the original thickness of the bread. Toast the two thin slices again to make Melba toast.

Seriously this is something almost gourmet that you can do with a toaster with bread you already have almost going moldy in your cupboard. Get on it. Challenge yourself. Just don't put any freakin' goat cheese on it. Goat cheese should be taken out behind the barn and shot in the head.

You know what I like even more than melba toast?  Holland Rusk.

They're found in these cylinders in the melba toast section

They look better than this speciman

They're crispy and light and slightly sweet and if you google them you'll get pics of rusks tiny beads of pink and white. Or blue and white.



They're anise candies and I wouldn't give you two cents for them. I like my rusks with butter. Maybe a little sea salt. That's it. Candied anise?! Who thinks up this stuff? Someday I might do a post on why five spice powder is the Antichrist of spice blends mainly because it contains anise.  

-Doesn't like goat cheese
-Doesn't like fennel (actually fennel doesn't like me)
-Doesn't like terragon
-Doesn't like anise

This, my friends, is why I don't have my credentials as a chef.  Yet.

No comments: