Glass Beach, Fort Bragg

A normal ordinary beach where nobody appears to be swimming...


When I was doing a series on unique beaches (here and here) I forgot to include Glass Beach, Fort Bragg. The beach glass that makes up a large percentage of the beach is the result of years of dumping garbage into the sea near the northern part of the town. 

Residents of Fort Bragg dumped everything in the water. Garbage such as glass, appliances and even cars. The beach was closed and concerted efforts to clean up the dump began in 1967.

Years of wave and tidal action combined with the abrasiveness of sand have worn down the edges and smoothed the glass into gem like pebbles.

It became a tourist attraction and people began to take beach glass home with them so California Parks & Recreation took over and began managing the beach and glass souvenirs are no longer allowed to be removed.











The rarest colour is blue.

There are glass beaches in Benicio, California, Guantanamo and Hanapepe, Hawaii.

7 comments:

Angie said...

Sweet jesus in heaven, I must go there. I'm going to tell you right now that if I do, I'm coming home with some contraband. Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE searching for sea glass?? That would be a perfect vacation for me :)

dirtydisher said...

This is so weird. I just spent two days looking at this without knowing you did a post on it. It's sooooo...yeah. It is.

A-Gran said...

Mother Nature is one resilient bitch.

Frimmy said...

It's a good weird though, right?

I think the way glass is turned from dangerous debris to softened gem-like pebbles is kind of magical.

I should link to the other posts about unique beaches...

Noelle said...

Yes to weird beach series.

Anonymous said...

Glass beach is cool I think they should dump more glass thear for further generations to b able to share this experience

Regina Saunders said...

Fantastic. There must be something amazing about currents or tidal activity, but whatever it is there must be something similar on nearly every continent. (How much glass has been dumped into the ocean?)
I have to find where the sea glass beach in Australia

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.