Micropachycephalosaurus, I'll Keep It Short

Third from the left, pachycephalosaurus, was my favourite family of dinos because they looked like they were wearing those silly bonnets women used to wear

When the lad was about three he suddenly needed to know everything about dinosaurs. When it came to exploring things that interested him, I was happy to accommodate. We have several reference books on sharks and very deep sea creatures, for example. Dinosaurs were going to be challenge to me because I didn't like the subject and never really took an interest as a kid.

He wanted to know the names of each kind. At first I told him "meat eater" or "plant eater" but this was not adequate and he told me so. He wanted to know their names. Their REAL names. So "plant eating Duck-bill" was unacceptable.

Truly he could not have come up with a more distasteful requirement but, for him, I made it my quest to learn everything I could so I could explain it to him. I am relieved he didn't require me to learn in great detail what dinosaurs lived in what period because I don't think I could have done that.


Micropachycephalosaurus was my favourite
  
Micro came up to the average man's knee in height and it was about three feet long so it was the size of a small dog which makes it possibly the smallest dinosaur with, ironically, the longest name.  This is one of the reasons I loved it.  What's not to love about a tiny, plant eating dino wearing a  silly bonnet whose name is bigger than it is.


Parasaurolophus Painting by Carel Peiter Brest Van Kempen
Check him out he has really good renderings

What's interesting about living where I do is the Royal Tyrrell Museum is a hop away from me in the Alberta badlands where many of the dinosaurs you've heard about were found.  (Micropachycephalosaurus was found in China).

Albertosaurus and Edmontosaurus were found here and paleoscientists from The Royal Tyrrell are always in Fort McMurray, located in Northern Alberta, identifying new fossils found during the recovery of oil in the oil sands.


Smaller than T-Rex, the largest Albertosaurus skeleton was 33 feet long.
Albertosaurus had three fingers as opposed to T-Rex who had two.


Edmontonia, an ankylosaurus, is named after Edmonton, Alberta.
Edmontonia did not spend any time in Edmonton.


The Edmontosaurus family, a hadrasaur or duckbill, had some of the largest members of this group with some reaching 43 feet.  They lived at the same time as T-Rex so I'm thinking they were probably the blue plate special a few times per week.


Edmonton, Alberta

Edmontonia and Edmontosaurus are both named for Edmonton, Alberta giving this city a unique place in paleontological nomenclature, words which here mean; fancy latin based system for naming for old bones.


Most interesting: Therizinosaurus, a herbivore from China, had claws as long as your arms. So Why the long claws? They think it was for tearing up termite mounds...except termites aren't herbalicious in nature, so that doesn't make sense to me.

Sadly I'm left with all this dino information taking up prime real estate in my rapidly diminishing brain capacity and the lad?  He can't remember a damn thing about them.

2 comments:

A-Gran said...

That was fascinating. I'll bet Alberta cried the day they lost you as a babysitter.

Noelle said...

Wow that artist is good. I have two lads going through this fascination one at a time. Currently on boy number two. The boys are never satisfied at my best tries at pronouncing the names. sigh....

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.