Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Surge Acceleration Rant

God, I sure hope not or we're all in trouble

I turn into a moderately impatient person when dealing with general stupid and an extremely impatient speed demon when I'm behind the wheel.

I try to be a law abiding citizen but I also want to get where I'm going as fast as possible so I'm conflicted about speed laws. To remove this conflict I engage my cruise control at five kilometres over any speed limit and remove my lead foot from the equation.

Today's rant is about surge acceleration.  If there's a real name for it, I am unaware of it. If we are traveling in a 50/kph zone this kind of driver will accelerate to 58 then take their foot off the gas pedal and gradually slow down to 48 or 38 and then resume acceleration. This happens all the time here.

You may think; "Frimmy, I'm sure you're over reacting. Surely this can't happen all the time?"

No!  No, I am not over reacting.  We have four lanes of traffic on the specific road I'm talking about. Two one way and two the other. It often happens that two cars side by side in the two lanes are surge accelerating at the same rates like wacky pace cars on the road to nowhere. Why, in the name of all that's roadworthy do they do this?? Because of its frequency, I can only assume this is how they're taught to drive in this town. On the street I travel every day after work there is a point in the road where EVERYone slows down for no reason. I have come to anticipate it. There is no speed reduction sign. There is no hazard. It's just a bend in the road. Yet the traffic going in the other direction does not slow down at this same point in the road. What. The. Hell?!





The other issue I have with drivers around here is merge lanes. The purpose of a merge lane onto a highway, for example, is to give room for the merging traffic to get UP TO SPEED so they can safely enter the stream of faster moving traffic on the highway.  

This purpose has been lost somewhere here.  Apparently merge lanes are for sightseeing. I have been entering a highway (speed limit: 110) behind cars that don't even get up to 70 before they try to merge. Not that they didn't have time to speed up, they did. They just didn't bother. So days with heavy traffic these sightseeing motorists end up being unable to merge within the distance provided and create further havoc and confusion by ending up driving on the shoulder while they try to merge. Why do they do this to themselves and us? They thought merging speed was optional, maybe? They didn't want to tax their vehicle?


Public Service Announcement courtesy of Frimmy
Because I care.

In addition to these two things, I end up with the yahoo road warrior on MY tail and here in this town road warriors think the car directly in front of them is the hold up. Kind of like the mentality of a toddler who falls down in front of you because he tripped over his feet and gets upset with you because you're the closest person. This idiot is kind of enjoyable though because they make it a point to obviously pass me (the problem) only to run directly into the real problem. Loser.

Once, a car on a two lane non passing road in town was going so slow, I started stalling out in second gear. SECOND GEAR, people!! It's a sad day when a girl with a speed demon heart has to ride around her town in first gear. There was no one in front of him, if that's what you're wondering.




Update: Today I was behind someone going 38 in the 50/kph zone. Steady as she goes.  No more, no less.  I was turning off the main road up ahead so I stayed behind them and monitored their speed.  Why....

13 comments:

Tonya said...

Sammy Hagar would like to have a word with you, young lady.

Tonya said...

Also: be POLITE and COURTEOUS??? LMAO! You wacky Canadians.

Frimmy said...

What would Sammy Hagar say about my driving?

Angie said...

He is of the same mind, Frim.

Frimmy said...

How do you both know this? Is there a song about it somewhere?

Angie said...

Song: I Can't Drive 55. Not a huge fan of Sammy, I was personally insulted when they tried to replace David Lee Roth with a guy that looked like William Katt from "The Greatest American Hero".

Frimmy said...

Sammy Hagar was the only good thing about Van Halen and I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing either.

I'll google the song lyrics and after fighting with the ringtone popup for my screen this will all start to make sense.

Angie said...

I'm going to pretend you didn't just insult one of the greatest hair bands to ever set foot on a stage.

Frimmy said...

*coughs*

A-Gran said...

Frimmy, you really didn't get that reference? What were you listening to in the 80s? Polka music?


You totally were, weren't you?

Frimmy said...

I believe I mentioned I play the accordion...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Van Halen is nothing without Diamond Dave.

Ann

Frimmy said...

Seriously, am I surrounded both by Van Halen AND David Lee Roth lovers? I don't want to be on this planet anymore.