Sunday, April 1, 2012

You Lost Me At Chocolate...

I know I'm in danger of getting my woman card revoked by saying this but I don't like chocolate and I dislike shopping even more.  Both are hideous excursions in torture for me.


This is painful for me to look at

I like white chocolate but that doesn't really count as chocolate as it doesn't actually contain any.  It's made with cocoa butter and is sweet like chocolate and feels like chocolate when you dissolve it in your mouth.  But that doesn't happen to me because I'm a cold, cadaverous person.  

I scour - SCOUR! - the internet for interesting recipes and I've noticed that there are some popular foods out there that I just can't bring myself to develop a taste for. There are lots of recipes I think would be awesome too but sometimes a title just loses me if it includes certain words. For example I love potatoes every which way unless it's preceded by the word sweet. Then forget it.

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Krispies  recipe here 

Yes, this sounds lovely because chocolate is preceded by the word white


Camaron Rebosado (shrimp tempura) with Sweet Chili Sauce recipe here

Shrimp & Sweet Chili are a match made in seafood heaven.  Remind me to make shrimp wontons this week.


Vegan Sour Cream recipe here

Yeah, sorry you lost me at "Vegan".


Caprese Sliders, instructions here

Say 'caprese' anything and I'm yours. I am currently sprouting tomato seedlings for the express purpose of making endless caprese salads.


Raspberry Mango Salsa, recipe here

You had me at raspberry and mango and salsa. This is all kinds of luscious.


Baked Red Cabbage with Gorgonzola

The recipe can be found here but seriously, go to the link.  There are a series of pictures that turn this recipe into something deeper, darker and totally foodgasmic.  I wanted to have a smoke after I browsed this page and I don't smoke.

Mixed Green Salad with Goat Cheese,
Pistachios and Beet Vinaigrette recipe 
here 

Who are we kidding? You lost me at goat.  You will always lose me at goat.

Quick Creme Brulee, recipe here

You had me at Brulee.  I would seriously consider eating a peanut butter and jelly Creme Brulee.  It is my single most favourite dessert in almost any flavour.

Carrot Cheesecake Bars, recipe here

What's not to love about this?  I love carrot cake and I love cheesecake.


Ultimate Mock Tuna Salad, recipe here

Frankly, most recipes lose me at "ultimate". If you have to sell your idea using this superlative then I don't believe you. In any case, the word "mock" sealed the deal. The dill pickles look great!


Ultimate Mac 'n Cheese, recipe here

Here the use of the word "ultimate" is fitting because this recipe includes bacon.  Bacon is better than true love.


Pumpkin Oat Bread, recipe here

Oat bread is one of my favourites and the addition of pumpkin can only enhance it.


Sweetcorn Ice Cream, recipe here

They had me at sweetcorn and lost me at ice cream

This doesn't mean I wouldn't try something as spurious as sweetcorn in an ice cream. I try anything a few times before I reject it utterly. I can't like goat cheese. Mix it up with peaches and peppers and throw it on crostini and I will ferret out its musky, earthy goatfullness and all but succumb to gagging. Have you been to a petting zoo with goats? Have you smelled a goat? That's what goat cheese tastes like to me.

Obviously we taste things differently. In my informal research I've noticed there are two kinds of people when it comes to coconut. The ones who love coconut and the ones who hate it. There are no in betweens.

I love lemon anything.  In fact a large bag of fresh lemons, or the approximation they carry in the grocery stores here in the sub arctic, are on my weekly grocery list and even then I sometimes run out.  I don't feel completely stocked unless I have scallions, garlic and lemons in the pantry.

Why do some people love bananas and some hate them? I like banana flavoured things but don't like bananas themselves not because of the taste but because they make my teeth feel weird.

What is your biggest turn off when it comes to food. I mean the kind of thing that everyone else loves but you can't bring yourself to eat.

4 comments:

Angie said...

I'm not sure I can narrow it down, but I have a real problem with textures. If the food has any kind of gritty, paste-y feel to it, it will make me gag. Hummus makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

A-Gran said...

I would eat all of those except the cabbage thing and the other... sweetcorn ice cream?

Anonymous said...

I cannot eat Scalloped Potatoes. Gag gag gag.

You have to give goat cheese a try. It is mild, creamy deliciousness. Awesome on salads.

Ann

Frimmy said...

My mom made the worst scalloped potatoes in the world. I hated them growing up. But my MIL made the best ever. I do it her way now and like them a lot.

I can't count how many times I've tried goat cheese. I can't get past the goat flavour. Mild, creamy deliciousness is cream cheese to me. I like bocconcini or any fresh mozza for creamy and mild as well.