Feminine Tattoos?

Feminine: Having qualities or appearance traditionally associated with women, especially delicacy and prettiness.

This is feminine? This is delicate and pretty?

Delicate: Very fine in texture or structure; of intricate workmanship or quality. Tender, dainty, fine, nice, frail, subtle, subtle

I don't care if women want to get tattooed. The problem I have is most I've seen are ugly or cliched. It's usually a tramp stamp, some representation of a perceived sexy animal or symbol reflecting the owner's perceived sexiness, or a Chinese character for some personality trait she wants you to ask about. Yawn. When it comes to tattoos women get, they tend to be as dull and banal as the women who get them. "Bitch" tattooed across the wrist? Seriously? That was the best you could do for a word embedded into your skin, in ink, for all of eternity?

Some of my friends have tattoos and I don't mind them. They have tattoos that are meant to be funny or inspire laughter. A funny tattoo I understand.

Today, I came across a website that was entitled "Selectively Feminine Tattoos". The women were posing as pin ups and in feminine costume, yes, but and I have to wonder, what exactly is selectively feminine about these tattoos? Maybe you can let me know? Because I don't see it.






Zombie-looking thing on the left leg - so selectively feminine


Sith Lords - sutle, delicate and pretty


The whole pin up deal? Feminine. Tattoos on the back of the hands, knuckles and neck? That counts as extreme even for a guy. The only tattoo that I would consider somewhat feminine was this one:


Loved. This is feminine. Except for the forearm tattoo

7 comments:

Angie said...

As bad as I'd like to be viewed as a badass, I just can't do it. I think about it, but that's as far as I get. June just won't allow me to walk on the wild side.

Frimmy said...

I admit I like the idea of an intelligent tattoo but nothing has moved me to get beyond the certainty of knowing I'll have it forever.

Tonya said...

I don't know if those women were "feminine" in the traditional sense. I think they're defining femininity on their own terms. I think they're sexy as hell. Except for Bombshell. She's just trash.

Frimmy said...

Which one is Bombshell? Ann, don't laugh.

Yep they're sexy, all the costumes and hair and what not, I agree, but feminine to me is that which marks us as different from what is masculine. I know there are feminine tattoos out there, I've seen some, but I disagree that these ones here are examples to showcase.

Compared to men, our skin is basically hair-free. It's generally softer and more delicate. I'm all for defining femininity on one's own terms and as individuals these women are feminine. I don't think getting hard core tattoos boosts femininity. The opposite, for me. It makes you at best, feminine with an edge and I have no problem with edge, don't get me wrong.

I know I wouldn't feel this way if tattoos could be altered or erased when you tired of them or when a person felt a need to change them. That's why I have no issue with piercings. They can be removed and most heal without a trace. (not stretching obviously) All I see when I look at these women are old women sitting in nursing homes with wrinkled skin and gothic symbols indelibly inked into their hands and skulls on her arms and legs.

We cringe in horror when we look at photos from twenty years ago. Our clothes! Our hair! I can't imagine being ok at 40, with a tattoo I got as a teenager.

Anyway, I liked your "defining femininity on their own terms" explanation and it works here. It's admirable. But what are they going to think about them twenty or thirty years from now? Maybe by then they will have the technology to erase them. I will update my feelings on the matter when that happens.

Tonya said...

I got Jesse James's paramours confused. When I went to look again, I realized that it was Kat von D, or however it's spelled.She's the brunette sitting in the chair.

Tonya said...

I understand why it doesn't look feminine to you. I still think they're feminine looking, on their own terms. I do wish they could embrace femininity without becoming a pin up girl, but what do I know?

As far as the nursing home thing goes, when we're all old enough to make it there that shit will be normal. I worked as a nurse's aide and I know that every time I came across a secret little tattoo I would chuckle at the idea that this little granny was NAUGHTY back in the day and I liked them more. My great grandmother died with several of them. Sweetest, kindest, gentlest little old lady I've ever met in my life, for real. Husband gave tats during the Great Depression and she wound up with a few. I think it makes them interesting and it gives something to talk about. Art isn't always beautiful and sometimes the most artistic thing of all is a statement that everything beautiful must eventually end.

Or maybe I just spend too much time thinking about this sort of shit.

Frimmy said...

I revisited this thread today and I'm blown away by how much my opinion had changed. Have I been desensitized? Little old ladies with tattoos in nursing homes sounds pretty cool to me now. The ladies above are defining "feminine" on their own terms. That's a good thing. It's still not my thing but I see it far differently than I did before.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.