Saturday, June 16, 2012

Calgary Stampede Celebrates 100 Years

It's this or more posts about art.

Pay no attention to the pink wall. I haven't painted this room yet

This is the hat I'm wearing right now. It depicts a chuckwagon. Specifically the chuckwagon sponsored by WestJet for the chuck wagon races that are a big deal around here.

Because I can't figure out when my days off are ahead of time, I can't coordinate my hair stylist and my days off and as a result, she and I have not seen each other in a long time. I'm sporting hideous roots that I can no longer cover by interesting and distracting partings, flowers, goldfish, Cornish pasties or barrettes.

I do not own cute and feminine hats or a leather mad hatter top hat. So I have appropriated the Lad's ball cap. He never wears it anyway.

In 2012, the Calgary Stampede, an internationally famous rodeo, is celebrating its 100 anniversary.

This is a chuckwagon race

From wikipedia:
The ten-day event, which bills itself as "The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth", attracts over one million visitors per year and features one of the world's largest rodeos, a parade, midway, stage shows, concerts, agricultural competitions, chuckwagon racing and First Nations exhibitions.
Perhaps I'll make an effort to check it out some time. It won't be this year though.

I'm not a horse lover or a crowd lover (unless it's for a really big deal) and I'm not fond of paying exorbitant amounts of money for ordinary food and drink, so the Calgary Stampede is not even on my to do list. However, it seems a shame that I haven't been to visit it when I live so close. I should at least see it once just to say I have. That was the motivation behind trying a deep fried Mars bar and, man, I sure don't regret THAT!!

No comments: