Monday, June 11, 2012

Eight Glasses of Water a Day - Myth


The idea that our good health depends on our drinking eight glasses of water a day has been promoted for decades and is still being promoted. Recent evidence shows that this is a myth.

Water is vital for health, yes, but eight glasses is excessive according to the department of dietetics and human nutrition at the La Trobe University in Victoria (Australia). I was told that it could be four eight ounce glasses of water and four eight ounce glasses of another non-caffeinated, non-carbonated beverage.

Unprocessed fruit and vegetables contain a lot of water and this counts toward our daily water intake. Did you know a baked potato is 75% water? 

"There is nothing magical about water from a glass of water as opposed to water from a food or any other beverage" says Prof. Susan Barr of the University of British Columbia. There is nothing magical about water from bottles either.

I have been told that if you drink a caffeinated beverage you need to drink its equivalent in water to equalize the dehydration caused by the caffeine. However the researchers involved in this study have found that drinking caffeinated beverages such as tea and coffee do not lead to dehydration and count toward your daily water intake.

How do you know if you need water? Are you thirsty? Then you need water. There is no evidence we need to drink more water than what thirst dictates. Another way to tell is by the colour of your urine. Is it light in colour? You're good. If it's too light you might need to drink less water. If it's dark, you need  more. Easy.

There is no evidence that eight, eight ounce glasses of water benefits health in any way and represents an urban myth. [source]

5 comments:

Angie said...

For years, I tried to abide by this law and felt guilty if I didn't make it, which was about 95% of the time. I will say that for me, the more water I drink, the better I feel. My aches and pains are less and my skin looks better. Strangely, I think bad breath can be combated by extra water, but of course, that's just an opinion.

Anonymous said...

Would eight glasses of wine a day count?

Ann

Tonya said...

While we're on the subject, there's no proof that exercise alleviates depression either.

Frimmy said...

I think it's an individual thing. If we need more water, drink more water. I think the key is balanced diet and fluid intake.

I feel better after I exercise. I don't know if it's because of endorphins or because I know it's good for me.

Wine...sure! Why not.

Noelle said...

I KNEW IT. I don't like or crave that much water. I just figured I was getting the rest in foods. Of course I was.

Ann 8 glasses of wine might cause you to drink a extra glass of water so I say Yeah!