Hypochondria


People who have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue don't bother me. What bothers me is that 2% of the population has Fibromyalgia, 2.5% have Chronic Fatigue and 25% of the people I know have it and the ones who do have it are whiners. Chances are higher that if you have been given a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and/or Chronic Fatigue then you are probably a hypochondriac as opposed to the 2% who actually have it.

It's this 23% of sufferers that I'm talking about today. The hypochondriacs. So if you actually have Chronic Fatigue and/or Fibromyalgia and you were diagnosed by a doctor and you are living your life in a way that deals with it so that you can live as normally as possible, leave now. You have my respect and sympathy and this post is not about you.


It seems a very high percentage of people prefer to jump on the disorder fad wagon rather than just dealing with their issues or accepting responsibility for their actions. You don't want to go to work? Who does? You call in sick, the rest of us go to work, walk off the discomfort and focus on something other than ourselves and our illnesses, real or imagined.

That both disorders are difficult to diagnose or that doctors are hesitant to put that on a person's health history makes these afflictions easier to exploit. There's no test and no cure besides treating symptoms. 

Sounds like Chronic Fatigue to me

People who actually have these disorders want you whining hypochondriacs to shut up. You're muddying up the water with your ubiquitous complaints and demeaning those who are actually living with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. I know the whiners have altered my perspective because there are far more of them than actual sufferers. If you tell me you have either ailment, and this was unsolicited and it was used as a justification for why you miss a lot of work, then yes, I've just labeled you.


When someone tells me they have either Fibromyalgia or CFS I immediately assume their Doctor is tired of dealing with all their imagined illnesses and given them a name for their hypochondria to get rid of them. However the ones who work without complaint because they know their condition is chronic and has no cure, are the ones who have my respect. We all work through pain and fatigue. You aren't special. Shut up and go be tiresome somewhere else. 

I have a bottomless supply of sisters to use as examples it seems and one of them is a hypochondriac. She knows this about herself, though. It IS possible to control it. She has accepted that she needs to carefully walk herself through a check list of reasonable symptoms and if something does not fall into reasonable she gets it checked out. She worries too much about everything but she doesn't require us to take her worries seriously. She actually jokes about it. Sometimes she will tell us something that is bothering her and we discuss it and she accepts what we tell her because she trusts us and she knows we are not hypochondriacs. 

Also, she takes the basic steps necessary to keep herself healthy in order to ensure she is doing what she needs to do to minimize illness and disease. She is a hard worker and she has a life where she's making a difference in this world. This is the kind of hypochondriac I can respect. The kind I am completely willing to tolerate and who does not drain my reserves.

Here is a link to a self-diagnosing guide for hypochondriacs. 

14 comments:

Angie said...

Slamma lamma ding dong! You said it, sister...lol

iambriezy said...

Bravo! Hit that nail right on the head.

Tonya said...

If I were a better writer, I'd have written this whole post because it's 100% how I feel.

For many years now, I've felt that way about those 2 diseases. I believe, for the most part, that they are diagnoses that are given by a physician to make you shut up. Which is a shame for those that have those diseases, as well as Asperger's as I mentioned in another post here.

Without a doubt, if you announce to me that you have CFS or Fibromyliagia, I know you're a hypochondriac. I don't wonder. I don't think maybe. My brain says, "AHA! A hypochondriac. This person is going to suck the life out of you." And they do. Hypochondriacs are exhausting, bottomless wells that can never be filled with enough attention and love.

I had an aunt and uncle that were hypochondriacs and they nagged and wheedled their doctor into removing unneccessary body parts. It pisses me off so much that I can't see a fucking doctor EVER, but these fuckers are driving up everyone else's insurance costs due to their bullshit ailments.

Meissa TwentyOneTwelve said...

I used to work for a lady who, the first thing out of her mouth was "I have fibromyalgia". It was NEVER diagnosed in writing and she went on to collect disability after she left her husband (who is still my friend, and she isn't), just by telling SS that she had it.

bima as herself said...

Angie said Shamma Lamma Ding Dong, LOVE!

Anonymous said...

I came across this blog post by accident and honey pray you NEVER get fibromyalgia because it is life stealing. So before you LABEL anyone with your derogatory remarks just think twice. Don't write about something you know nothing about. Please do not include those with FM in with the hypochondriacs, ok? We have it hard enough without ignorant remarks like yours floating around in cyberspace. Peace.

Frimmy said...

My derogatory remarks were aimed at the people who CLAIM to have it and who really don't. I stand by my remarks and if the shoe fits, wear it.

Try reading to comprehend instead of reading to pick points out of something to use as grist for your mill.

Exnihilo said...

Well said! I know someone who manipulates people around him with fake symptoms and false claims of the illness. Most of us know he's seeking someone to enable his hypochondriasis and to feel sorry for him and spend countless hours around him, lavishing him with pity. Hypochondriacs are bad enough when they feel sorry for themselves. They become impossible to be around when they demand that the rest of us pour sympathy all over them. He has destroyed just about every friendship he has had -and he's still in denial.

Riizzoe said...

your blog made me really mad. I have hypochondria and when it started 2 years ago it enabled me so much that i had to take sick leave from work for 2 month. I feeled tired had no energy and thought I would die from an undetected disease , it was exhausting.But at that time I rather would have worked that felt so miserable. Now I am feeling better, thanks to medication and counseling. I guess what I am trying to say is that Health anxiety can make you feel really sick and can enable you from working if you don't get help. It is a mental illness like depression.

Riizzoe said...

I forgot to say that if the doctors diagnose a hypochondriac with CFS than THEY believe they have CFS. And the mind is so powerful, that you can actually experience some of the symptoms of CFS even if you don't have it.(sorry for my English but I am from Switzerland)So physicians make it worse by diagnose them with something just so they don't get bothered anymore.

Frimmy said...

I appreciate your comment and I'm sorry you had this experience. Do you understand that I was not speaking of people like yourself who suffer from real, and diagnosed illness? I am speaking of people who diagnose themselves, specifically with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue - both real and genuine illnesses - and who use their self-diagnosis as a justifiable reason to be unemployed.

I made it a point to say that people who fake these illnesses demean the people who actually suffer from them. Perhaps you are angry with my flippant use of the word "hypochondriac" in that I have called these fake-sick people hypochondriacs which demeans actual hypochondriacs? That was not my intention. Can you suggest another name for people who choose to believe they are sick?

It has always been my contention that anyone who is genuinely sick would trade their condition for real work/job in a heart beat. It's the people who don't want to work, and who use self diagnosed, vaguely symptomatic diseases as a way to frame laziness with whom I have a problem. If this is not you, then why would you be angry. The shoe does not fit. Don't wear it. Apart from educating me about a better way to label this kind of person, 0% of this post applies to you. Therefore in my mind, there is no reason to be upset with it.

Frimmy said...

Your English is quite excellent. I doubt I could communicate even a fraction as clearly in Swiss.

Yes I do see what you're saying. Again, my comment was directed to people who are not ill but who use illness as an excuse. Those who continue to seek reasons to justify why they don't have to do, or can't do what they need to be doing. A key example of what I mean is when this kind of person can gather the energy and strength to do what they want to do but it all suddenly disappears when you need them to do something they don't want to do and they blame whatever disorder/illness for why they cannot. Just one example. I personally jump with enthusiasm to do something that interests me but have to force myself to get my act together to do something that needs doing but isn't what I want to do. We all experience that. It's not just displaying this behavior that I'm talking about. To my way of thinking, a disorder like this hampers a person universally, or indiscriminately. A person genuinely ill like this would be unable to do even the things they wish to do (beyond what is needed to sustain life)

Riizzoe said...

I see what you are saying.Maybe I misunderstood your blog then. It's just that when I was on sick leave, I got comments from people to pull myself together and get on with my life. Some of my co workers and even some people of my family were thinking I was faking it to get off work. People don't really understand mental illnesses yet and you are right "fakers" are making it even harder for us to be taking serious.
And thanks for your compliment on my english :).

Frimmy said...

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a few years ago. I totally understand it when you say some people think you can just "snap out of it". Or one comment I got was "Just be happy". If you could just snap out of it, don't you think we would? People fail to look at mental illness as an illness. The brain is an organ like every other organ in that it can sometimes function inadequately. Sometimes our glands don't function properly. Do we tell diabetics to "snap out of it"? Or "just regulate your insulin!". Yet we say those things to people with mental disorders so thoughtlessly. I was definitely not talking about people who are genuine sufferers in this blog post.

When you first commented I got the feeling that you had this experience where you genuinely suffered from a disorder but had many people judge you negatively or say thoughtless things to you. I felt I owed it to you to ensure that you knew this was not that kind of post, you are not the kind of person I was talking about and you have my sympathy and admiration for getting help to cope with it. It can't be easy but you're making positive progress and that is so encouraging!

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.