Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Musician Sight Reads & Plays Mario Music - And Makes It Sound "Pretty Decent, I must Say"

Reading music is pretty much reading and interpreting a language. What can you accomplish if you know how to read music and then interpret it through a musical instrument? Something a little miraculous.

Below are two videos of the same musician sight reading two pieces from Mario games. He's never played the games and never heard the music.

Without practice and without accompaniment he makes Mario music sound good.


I started lessons when I was 8 or so. My parents thought I would benefit from lessons after finding me picking out the tune of Kumbaya on a piano at age 6 by ear or by finding the keys belonging to the notes that I was hearing in my head.

Playing by ear turned out to be a handicap for me as a kid. Why should I learn to read music if I can just play what I hear? So I have only a fundamental understanding of the written language of music. Which means I can never hope to do what this man does so easily.

And...? After all the times I played these games I never realized the songs were rags. I love rags!


Part II of "Solace" from The Sting


I taught myself to play The Entertainer but I wanted to play Scott Joplin and couldn't really read the music - not for the left hand anyway. In order to play songs I hadn't heard before, I had to labouriously label all the notes and memorize where the keys were. I took lessons for accordion not piano and as you know the left hand is all buttons with the chords built in. I wouldn't change many things about my life if I went back but if I did I would pick piano lessons and make myself learn to sight read music like a wizard.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I have a similar regret. Playing by ear is a gift, but only a gift of musical appreciation. Reading music, that's the real talent, one that I do not possess. I've tried to learn...multiple times. School band directors couldn't teach me, private piano lessons failed as well. I think it must call to a side of my brain that is not up to the challenge.

Frimmy said...

It really is the real talent. My parents were so blown away by my apparent precociousness (it wasn't at all but they thought so because nobody in either family is musical) they didn't realize the valuable thing would have been to insist on reading music.

I loved how effortlessly this man played the music. He was so 'fluent' he added his own style and bounced along to the beat like he was 'in' to it.

My sister picked up reading music better than I did, but she played notes whereas I played music and neither one is complete without the other unless you're a composer. But his man plays both the notes and makes music and this is what I could do if I had applied myself back when my brain absorbed information like this.