Monday, September 10, 2012

Juscelino Kubitschek Bridge- Art

A few days ago I was reading an article [Revisiting Brasília] by our friend The Basement Geographer and among the photos included in the story was a picture of Brasília's Juscelino Kubitschek bridge. I had seen a picture of it ages ago but had forgotten where and never found it again until his article. So it was a (an?) eureka! moment.


Brasília is the capitol city that former President Juscelino Kubitschek de Oliveira had designed and built in the late 1950's and is a wonder all by itself making the UNESCO World Heritage list. The bridge is named for him and was designed by architect Alexandre Chan and structural engineer Mário Vila Verde. 


[photo: Miguel Netto]

The entire structure has a total length of 1,200 metres (3,900 ft). The bridge has a pedestrian walkway and is accessible to bicyclists and skaters. Inaugurated on December 15, 2002, the JK Bridge is a favourite landmark, especially at night.

[photo: Robert Berlim]

Me? I'm not so fond of bridges at night but that has more to do with the black water that's underneath them. Here's a google sightseeing page where you can travel on the bridge yourself. Once the page opens, click and drag your little orange sightseer guy (top left corner of the satellite picture) and drop him on the south end of the bridge. Then cross it a few times clicking ahead of your point of view. It's cool as hell.

I find the bridge is artfully designed to be beautiful with a sense of fun and it reminds me of this:



And yes, I'm still procrastinating finishing that post about Magnetic Hill, NB...I will get it done. I promise.

2 comments:

kuschk said...

That Google Sightseeing article took twice as long for me to write as it should precisely because I spent most of that time just traveling up and down the bridge in Street View.

Frimmy said...

Ahaha! I loved crossing the bridge! I even caught myself checking out the people on the green bus that passes my POV heading south (I think)