Nunavut is Sad

We're happy and we wear plaid, I guess
*makes note to buy plaid shirt*

In a recent survey by The Centre for the Study of Living Standards (clearly a Canadian company judging by the spelling of "centre") it was found that more than 90% of Canadians are happy. The Centre studied statistics between 2003-2011 and we have stayed happy throughout that entire time.

This score was enough to put us at number two on the happy list, second after Denmark. Denmark is happy? Who knew. Centre executive director Andrew Sharpe explains some of the reasons why we're generally happy:

"We do have high levels of income. We have weathered the financial crisis better than other countries of the world. We do have a good health system. We complain about it, but at least there's full coverage of all Canadians ... We do have a lot of advantages as a country."

What financial crisis? I kid, I kid! I read the news sometimes.

Nova Scotia: happiest
Nunavut: unhappiest

In an interesting trend seen above, Nunavut is the unhappiest part of Canada. This squares completely with The Atheist Granny's take on Canadian provinces and territories in her "An American Tries to Learn About Canada" series. Here is her article on Nunavut.

Justin Trudeau
Also there is most likely going to be another Trudeau in politics. For many, the name Pierre Trudeau is synonymous with Canadian politics. He was as much a celebrity as he was politician. His son Justin is flirting with the idea of running for the Liberal Party leadership. (That would be a loose approximation of the US's Democratic party but really in Canada our conservative party approximates your more liberal party. By the US's standards, most of us Canadians would be left wing lunatics but at least we're all happy) [Update October 2015: In a surprising upset, Justin Trudeau has been elected Canada's Prime Minister and a Liberal majority government.]

Below, a retrospective of finer Trudeau moments.





Good times...fun times

1 comments:

Tonya said...

I wonder how many Americans would report being happy? I wonder how we would compare with Nunavut?

Nunavut was a really depressing read, but one that was probably the best for me to begin with. I was absolutely fascinated with them (and still am to an extent). They have such a sad history and the future doesn't look much better. Beautiful country, but is that enough? I don't know. I do have to say that if I grew up in Nunavut, I'd be tempted to move once I reached 18.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.