Sunday, September 2, 2012

Photorealism Bic Pen Edition - Samuel Silva



One of the pictures above is "Redhead Girl - Ballpoint Pen" by Samuel Silva and one is a photograph.

Mr. Silva is a lawyer. He draws as a hobby. He is skilled in many mediums but is currently exploring bic pens. In his own words: "Ballpoint pens are as underestimated as they are a powerful medium. It's not about what you use, it's about how you use it."

A lot of people think this picture is faked/shopped but it isn't. Silva's bic pen works utilize a style of art known as pointillism, a "technique in which a multitude of small colored dots are applied to the canvas that, when seen from a distance, create an optical blend of hues." [wiki]

For the above work, Silva used seven different colored ballpoint pens which took some 30 hours to finish. To create such vibrant colors, Silva “cross hatches” in layers to give off the illusion of additional hues and depth. 

So which is which? The second one is the pen art. Here is Samuel Silva's website. Here are some more works by Samuel Silva using bic pens.







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could draw half this well. And can I say, the red head in the photo at the top of this post is Gorgeous!

Ann

Frimmy said...

Isn't she?!! I finally tracked down who she is, also. I couldn't find her name anywhere so I got the photographer's name and found her that way. I think I might do a post about her.

Frimmy said...

She reminds me of a niece who was killed in a head on collision when she was in her early twenties. She was a natural redhead and beautiful like this woman. Green eyes and freckles with mischief behind the eyes and a great smile. Yeah...

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your niece. Obviously, an incredible loss.

Ann