Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Principality of Sealand

I'm trying to complete a post about Magnetic Hill in New Brunswick, a gravity hill with a theme park. Its completion is eluding me. I find myself procrastinating (thus all the art and redhead posts) however in this procrastinating, I discovered the Principality of Sealand.

Sealand, population 27, is probably the smallest country in the world. It has its own flag, coat of arms, soccer team, currency (kinda), national anthem, postage stamps, website and is the most symmetrical country in the world, in my estimation.

Flag of Sealand

Commemorative Coins

Coat of Arms

In a rudimentary inset type photo creation of cave painting quality, here is what it looks like on Google Earth (with apologies to Google Earth and MSPaint):

Just off the coast of Suffolk, England it said. Suffolk isn't ON the coast, is it!

I know what you're thinking. I've lost it and you would be half right. Sealand is a former World War II Maunsell Sea Fort in the North Sea, 13 kilometres (7 nmi) off the coast of Suffolk, England, United Kingdom, IF Suffolk were actually ON the coast which it really isn't. They were named after the man who designed them, Guy Maunsell, and their purpose was defensive. The Sea Forts were decommissioned in the 1950's. HM Fort Roughs was claimed for the Principality of Sealand.


It's so beautiful!!

While it has been described as the world's smallest nation, or a micronation, Sealand is not currently officially recognised by any established sovereign state. Although [HRH] Roy Bates (head of the Royal family) claims it is de facto recognised by Germany (as they have sent a diplomat to the micro-nation to negotiate the release of a hostage in an attempted coup), and by the United Kingdom (after an English court ruled it did not have jurisdiction over Sealand) neither action constitutes de jure recognition as far as the respective countries are concerned. [source]

Sealand coast


That's good enough for me. Sadly the world is almost rife - rife I tell ya! - with micronations. This micronation takes PayPal and I may have just donated a sum of money to support their soccer team (a worthy cause) and nothing more, or I might be a Lady of the Principality of Sealand with my own frimminjim@sealandlady.org email address. It doesn't come with a tiera and I didn't click any boxes asking me to renounce my Canadian citizenship. However, time will tell and I'll keep you posted. And don't be saying I bought my peerage, buying your title has a long and ignoble history. Just ask Conrad Black.

Stateroom lounge in sea blue accents

This is early 'Gramma's cottage' decorating at it's best

Stateroom

Throne room

The history of the world is written by its winners and here is a link to Sealand's history on their website. There are Prince's and Princesses, that coup attempt with the hostage taking and a succession of one royal generation. All of this going on while we have lived our common lives and eaten our cheese sandwiches completely unaware!

Well, not anymore. You are now aware. And you can call me Lady Frimmy when the paperwork comes in.

2 comments:

Melvin O. Crabsnorkle said...

http://www.redditisland.net/

Laird Sky said...

Hehe yeah all good fun :-)