Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Cornelia Konrads - Gravity Defying Sculpture

Art. I don't like to over-think it. Sometimes I know why I like it. Sometimes I don't know why I like it. But I like to keep things uncomplicated. Often there is an element of "how did they do that?!" to the art I find appealing but figuring out how it was done is where my thoughts head, no so much why it was done or what it symbolizes. Mostly I just like it or I don't. Which brings us to today's art feature. I like the gravity defying installments by Cornelia Konrads. I don't like the cerebral manner in which her art is discussed. Like so:

Konrads makes us aware of the syntagmatic character of language, but she does away with the semantic character of the control structures that produce meaning. Konrads makes us aware of the syntagmatic character of language, but she does away with the semantic character of the control structures that produce meaning.

Or this:

But the artist’s works consistently irritate and destabilize a monocausal view of the world and thus call into question the foundations of Aristotelian logic. The laws of identity (a = a) and contradiction (a = non-a) and the excluded middle (tertium non datur) do not prevail here. But the artist’s works consistently irritate and destabilize a monocausal view of the world and thus call into question the foundations of Aristotelian logic. The laws of identity (a = a) and contradiction (a = non-a) and the excluded middle (tertium non datur) do not prevail here.

What in the name of all that is holy was that all about?

So anyway, here's some of her stuff. Which I like. [More pics after the jump]

Rising or Falling
Rising or Falling: detail

Settlement

intérieur en passant
Piled up
The Gate
Pile of wishes
Pile of wishes detail: A little insight into how she does it
Le Mer (I always thought Mer meant "sea" in French)
Le Mer: detail
Moment of Decision
Passage
Passage: detail
Piled Forest
Cornelia Konrads
You can find more of the lovely Ms. Konrads's art here on her website where her vision and motivation are analyzed in great detail. If you like that kind of thing.

2 comments:

Spencer said...

She's talented, imaginative and a really 'nice' person.

Frimmy said...

Clearly she is talented and imaginative. That she is a nice person is welcome information and I'm happy to know it. It's what I hope when I feature an artist. That they are talented AND nice. So far every artist I have had any personal contact with have been really nice people.

Thank you for adding that!