Paper Sculpture - Calvin Nicholls



Calvin Nicholls is a Canadian artist who sculpts with paper, scissors, glue and scalpels. He works out of his studio north of Toronto, Ontario. His work is beautiful, ethereal and breathtaking. He will even show you exactly how to reproduce the type of art he creates, how awesome is that? His website can be found here.



Nicholls studied Graphic Design in the late 70′s at Sheridan Collage. I went to Sheridan Collage too! He says he experimented with paper sculpture and was able to combine his love for this sculpture and wildlife. He completed a bird of prey with outstretched wings for Noranda Recycled Papers when he realized how well suited the layering of feathers was to the art of paper sculpture. 














He completed 15 sculptures for an a children's book, The World Before This One, written by Rafe Martin which has gained high praise by revered Kirkus and Star Review book reviewers in the United States. 



My interest in monochromatics continues. I want people to be drawn in to explore the work and to consider the medium. Although I have completed pieces in full colour I continue to experiment with the interaction of light and shadow on the surface of plain paper in off white or in multi-step grayscale equivalents as in my most recent piece titled Moonridge.
I look forward to the adventures that lie ahead and enjoy the times I have had working from my home studio with my wife watching all three of our children as they develop their own styles and skills in the world of art.

His Paper Sculpture facebook page is here.

This is one of my favourites.
















2 comments:

Noelle said...

So what is up with all of the links with no explanation? Must have lots of other people's comments to add to the coffee chat. I might check them out later. I like cinnamon in my coffee. I love having a garage I don't now but it's cool until you have to clean it. Those paper sculptures are amazing. Wonder if he gets paper cuts. HA.

Louisette retriever said...

Love much all this scultures paper, great artiste,good article

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.