Beyoncé Says Daughter Is Her Best Friend & Other BS

This is a rant. Feel free to skip it.



In a recent Vogue article, Beyoncé has been quoted as calling her daughter, Blue Ivy, "my homey, my best friend,"

If Beyoncé's best friend is a 12-month old baby, she might want to consider graduating from picture books to chapter books. No question a child can immediately move into your heart and become the thing you love most in the world. Best friends? A little too early and frankly I don't think it's entirely healthy for a parent to EVER consider a child a best friend. It messes with the kid's head. When did it become a lesser thing to be the best parent you can be?

Also this BS:

She has never been more aware of her womanity. "Right now, after giving birth, I really understand the power of my body. I just feel my body means something completely different. I feel a lot more confident about it. Even being heavier, thinner, whatever. I feel a lot more like a woman. More feminine, more sensual. And no shame.

More powerful? More feminine? More sensual? Why because you discovered muscles you didn't know you had? Big deal.

Women really need to stop acting magnanimous about childbirth. It is what it is and nothing more. I really think this ridiculous childbirth rhapsody BS is because women know they can get away with it because men do not give birth and cannot hope to relate and so women can act like martyrs.

I went a lot of years without a child. I have two sisters who never had children. None of us ever planned to have children in fact. I got really sick of people telling me that I wasn't complete as a woman until I had a child. I can tell you both as a childless woman and as a mother that that is a load of crap. Being born female is reason enough to feel complete as a woman. Do men feel more male because they have a son or daughter?

There is no power in our bodies of which to be boastful. Neither Beyoncé nor I had a thing to do with a baby evacuating our bodies. We did not study to give birth, we did not practice till we got it right and we did not choreograph the steps leading to a child being born. It happened because it was designed to happen because we were already completely female. The laws that govern a child being born were in practice long before she and I entered this world and were written into our DNA because we were female to start with.

You think it takes something special or powerful to give birth? Women in comas have given birth to babies, that's how not powerful we are with regard to the childbirth thing. We aren't even needed to be conscious during the event. 

When people like this go on about the womanliness of birthing babies and how complete they are now, it demeans women who for one reason or another cannot bear children or who have chosen not to have children. Are they incomplete women? Not in the least. Childless women of the world please note: People like Beyoncé are not being endowed miraculously with a special awareness now that they've given birth. 

If Beyoncé feels complete because she has had a child, it means something was missing from her life that should have been there before any baby popped out of her body and that missing thing might also explain why she considers a 12 month old baby to be her best friend.

Any woman who is physically sound can give birth. The real challenge lies in being a good mother and ALL women can be good mothers whether they have physically had children or not.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Well said I couldn't' agree more. I'm a mom. Pretty sure I would have been just as powerful (weird choice of words) without my boys. I know for sure I would get more sleep. That is power.

Anonymous said...

I saw her "my best friend" comment as well and thought the same thing...JC its a BABY..yes you love it..are in love with it...are obsessed with it...but besties? FFS get over yourself.

And if she is another idiot that wants to be her kids "friend" instead of parent, gawd help her. I love my kid to bits. He is some of my favourite company and makes me laugh like no one else. But he knows at all times that when the situation calls for it, I will be a parent, not a friend.

Sorry..my rant over.

Ann

Angie said...

Celebrities. Self-important assholes, the lot of them.

iambriezy said...

Best. Rant. Ever.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.