More Snow and I'm Fine With That


Every year some people I know express surprise when winter hits. They are personally affronted that the season has grown cold. That things are freezing. That winter has arrived. 

Really?

We live in Canada.

I never know how to respond because they are looking for a sympathetic conversation about the impositions that winter places upon us. They don't get that from me because I'm unsympathetic to their imagined woes. They don't like the cold? I don't get it. I don't get it because I have lived in Canada all my life and every year around the same time it gets cold. No surprise.

Around this time of year, the complaints start about how looooong winter is lasting. In my experience it lasts about the same amount of time every year. But the whining starts that it's gone on too long or they're tired of it all.

Really?

Canada!

In the winter you get up earlier so you can brush off your car, warm it up if necessary and be on your way to arrive at work on time. It's not like we weren't warned. It's winter time. 

Just because dates on a calendar mark the beginning and end of seasons, doesn't mean nature respects that. This is also no surprise if you have lived here for any amount of time. So I am unsympathetic to the complaints that snow has arrived before winter officially starts or after spring has begun. 

Because? We live in Canada. Can we do anything about the weather? No. It is what it is. Stop whining about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am amazed every year at how folks forget how to drive on snow.

Same thing...it snows every year....you drove on it last year.

Ann

Angie said...

I think people just need to vent, or maybe they are just looking to make conversation. I posted recently about being ready for spring, just to get people talking. It worked, but for only 18 measly comments. Come on, people!! ;)

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.