Friday, April 5, 2013

A Small Blog Change


Due to the amount of spam comments being published recently, I have disabled anonymous comments. I apologize but we can't let spammers succeed at what they're trying to do.  I have the option of requiring word verification for comments but the scrambled words are difficult to see if you're viewing the blog on a phone.

If this does not filter out the spam and they continue to get through the filters,  word verification will be my next step.

Since we all hate spam polluting the comments, and since the type of spam I've been getting has changed, I found I have been checking and deleting comments around the clock and, well, I'm tired of it.

5 comments:

Angie said...

I don't blame you, it's a huge hassle to have to monitor each and every comment and seriously?...if you can't put your name to your comment, no one wants to hear what you have to say, anyway. Although this might hamper some of those that just don't want a blogger account. Hopefully they'll change their minds! (side eye at Ann) :)

Frimmy said...

I was divided on what to do, disable anons or enable word verification. Either way, it makes someone have to take an extra step and if someone is only somewhat interested in commenting, it will derail their participation. You can't see the scrambled words in pc view very well so I find it impossible to see in phone view.

Frimmy said...

Ann has always signed her comments and I appreciate that. The anons that this gets rid of are the endless lines of copied and pasted random articles about fashion advice or house hunting or pet health with unrelated embedded links. I was getting approximately 40 every couple of hours with as many as five actually getting published as legitimate comments.

It's been a day now and I haven't had one notification for a spam comment and I haven't had to delete even one spam comment that got published. I'll sleep all the way through the night tonight. It was worth it.

Alicia Price said...

I think disabling anonymous does a mighty fine job with plugging the flow of spam most of the time,

Frimmy, I am using software called rumola (skipinput.com) to read and fill in CAPTCHAs for me. I dont have a smart phone but I am pretty sure they do a mobile version. Thought it might be useful for you :)

Frimmy said...

To my knowledge, I have had no spam since this change. No emails round the clock notifying me of anon comments. No accidentally published spam comments.

I went from about 120 spam comments a day to zero. Now, I'm almost lonely. I kid!