Monday, April 8, 2013

Breaking Bad - Bonus (for me) Season! (Spoilers)

Here's how sheltered I am. I didn't realize there was a season five. But, I was jazzed when I realized the series had more episodes and I'm watching them with a happy heart.

"If I can't kill you, I'll sure as shit make you wish you were dead"

Season four was wrenching. They're eating breakfast and Walt is relieved Gus didn't kill them. Jesse is indifferent and explains to Walt about how at least now they're all on the same page with Gus. This is the day Jesse has shot and killed Gale and he's just witnessed Gus slicing Victor's throat, throwing him on the floor like a bag of trash. Yes, they're still alive, but he's starting to realize that might not be the best case scenario.

Aww...

In this season, Jesse doesn't want to be alone and he doesn't want quiet. It's been interesting and almost painful watching Jesse's anguish and isolation. The look on his face when he invites Walt to visit the go-cart track with him after work, because he doesn't want to be alone, evokes an overwhelming sadness.

He has the menacing glare down

One side of Walt is the personification of calculated evil and yet it's an interesting juxtaposition to see him with Holly, smiling, playing and cuddling the infant minutes after seeing him as the ruthless, murderous drug lord upstart. I never watched Malcolm in the Middle but I'm told his character in that series is poles apart from Walter White. And did he poison Brock? Yes. Yes he did. 

Walter Jr. irritates me a little and I'm not sure why. He's kind of hit and miss with his contributions as a character. I hope they flesh that out a little more and I realize when I say this that time is running out on the series. He could be really interesting. I do like how they land that kid on us without any apology  and with minimal allowances regarding his disability. They require their audience to accept him and his life as it is. Which is how it should be.

"Keys, scumbag. It's the universal symbol for keys."

I absolutely adore Mike Ehrmantraut (Jonathan Banks) and he's had some of the best lines. Well, lines that made me happier for a second. “I can think of a hundred ways this thing may turn out, and none of them involve 'Miller Time'". And it's not even what he's saying it so much as where and when he says it. It's in the middle of showdowns with guns and confrontations and breaking into evidence rooms strategy meetings.

I like Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk). Something interesting always happens around him.

Oh suck it up, Princess. Pick a side and stick to it.
And what the hell happened to your face?

Still don't like Skylar (Anna Gunn). Apparently, I'm not alone. She's all afraid of Walt and danger and oh mah gah sad, frightened me! but her visit to Ted Beneke (Christopher Cousins) was tantamount to a threat to his life if he talked to the authorities about her using force to pay his back taxes. He certainly took her visit that way. Why is she all 'laundering money' tough one minutes and cowering from Walt the next? She's a criminal too, isn't she?

I'm kind of dreading the moment that Hank puts together what and who Walt really is.

Talk to ya later, I'm going here for all you can eat crab with the some of the awesome cousins. I'd instagram you some pictures but I don't have instagram on my phone, so too bad.

4 comments:

iambriezy said...

Goddamn you sum things up so beautifully. I didn't realize, until I read what you wrote about Walt Jr. that I also have a problem with his character. There are so few flaws in this show, and I feel like I'm betraying it somehow, but I think it would have made it much more interesting if he weren't SO trusting and gullible. Couldn't agree with you more about Skylar. She is so unlikeable, but I also realize she's supposed to be. I also worry (in giddy anticipation of course), about Hank's reaction when he FINALLY connects the dots. Oh and Saul is my favorite character on the show. He's perfect in every possible way.

iambriezy said...

Goddamn you sum things up so beautifully. I didn't realize, until I read what you wrote about Walt Jr. that I also have a problem with his character. There are so few flaws in this show, and I feel like I'm betraying it somehow, but I think it would have made it much more interesting if he weren't SO trusting and gullible. Couldn't agree with you more about Skylar. She is so unlikeable, but I also realize she's supposed to be. I also worry (in giddy anticipation of course), about Hank's reaction when he FINALLY connects the dots. Oh and Saul is my favorite character on the show. He's perfect in every possible way.

iambriezy said...

So when I hit the back button, it double posts. Stupid asshole Blogger.

Frimmy said...

Stupid blogger!! Saul is a great character. Did you know his name is supposed to sound like you're saying "it's all good, man"? I read that somewhere. Funny.