French Word of the Day: Désincrustant



In French, "désincrustant" is pronounced...actually I don't know how to communicate that one. I searched for pronunciation for this word and got this: "Aucun résultat n'a été trouvé pour le terme 'désincrustant'". Words which here mean "nothing was found for your ridiculous search, you suck".

As you've probably been able to deduce, désincrustant means something like "scrub". It makes your peau fraîche and if that doesn't float your bateau nothing will.

This facial scrub claims to have granules made from apricot pits. Or from l'abricot. A contraction which here sort of means: an apricot

Having once been fairly bilingual, it doesn't take much of an immersion to send me back into thinking/translating/speaking in the kind of horrible, fractured French that would make an actual French-speaking person want to stab themselves in the ears. I recently watched Amélie (2001) starring Audrey Tautou. It's a really cute film and good luck finding a version with English subtitles online. So I watched it in French.

Here, Amélie is showing us a cuillère, something she uses to crack the
sugar crust on the top of crème brûlée. Best thing ever!


Here is a video of a Disney chef speaking my kind of French, a kind of French where I string together as many random French words as possible into one sentence and hope nobody French is within hearing.  "Mmm ahhn, belle cuisine, Champs-Élysées, Maurice Chevalier...."




Je suis
Tu es
Il est
Elle est
Nous sommes
Vous êtes
Ils sont
Elles sont

English is a difficult and confusing language.

4 comments:

Melvin Ayatollahofrock'nrolla said...

High brow.

Frimmy said...

I wish

kuschk said...

'That's all you learn in high school French. And you can't even use it. Walk around Montreal and try to have a conversation - '"I am, you are" - what kind of crazy philosopher are you?'' - Jeremy Hotz

Frimmy said...

I know, right? I can recite that verb conjugation but can't ask where I can find a good restaurant without a dictionary.

 

Follow by Email

Powered by Blogger.